Pages

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Do You Only Sing When You're Happy?




Apparently, the birds are under the misconception that it’s Spring outside today. They are twittering up a storm. I love to listen to them sing. It reminds me of my life.

Although they’ve just spent a brutal winter, more brutal than usual for the South, they flit around with renewed energy, ready to proclaim their joy in a warmer day.

I’ve had a brutal winter, too. It’s been one of great loss for me. But I, like those little birds, find myself joyful and thankful for the blessings the Lord has provided during my lean season. If I could, I would join those birds in the trees. I’d flutter my wings and sing at the top of my little bird lungs the unique song the Lord gave to me.

But then, maybe I am doing just that.



The flowers are springing up, the season of singing birds has come, and the cooing of turtledoves fills the air. (Song of Solomon 2:12--NLT)





I'm one of those people who doesn't keep their struggles a secret. I share them with others because I know we all struggle. 

At one of my lowest seasons, I struggled alone. There was no one to share my burden. I nearly gave up.

Then, a friend who had smiled and stayed cheerful during a season of cancer we all knew would destroy her physical body one day soon, allowed herself to cry in front of us. 

Believe it or not, that act of honesty validated my personal pain and gave me hope. 



As I searched through scripture references about singing, I noticed something I had never realized before. All of the passages speak of singing praises, thankfulness, and honor to GOD! We aren’t to sing because we are happy that something went our way. We aren’t to sing because we accomplished something great and wonderful.

We SING because God deserves our songs.

Perhaps that is why the birds sing today.

They are praising God for providing food and shelter during a difficult season.



They are praising the Lord for allowing them to survive the difficult days and giving them the hope of another Spring.

Yes, I can do that, too. I can praise Him and thank Him for bringing me through the dark, cold and scary times of my life. I can thank Him for never leaving me alone in that pit of despair. I can praise Him for the sunshine of this moment or the promise of sunshine some day.

I can even praise Him on those days when I'm not certain if Spring will come at all. Because I know one day Spring will be eternal.


3. O LORD, You have brought up my soul from Sheol; You have kept me alive, that I would not go down to the pit.
4. Sing praise to the LORD, you His godly ones, And give thanks to His holy name.
5. For His anger is but for a moment, His favor is for a lifetime; Weeping may last for the night, But a shout of joy comes in the morning. (Psalm 30:3-5)


What has the Lord blessed you with today? Sing your song of praise in the comments section below.

2 comments:

  1. Having a good friend like you who encourages me to sing no matter the circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm grateful for your song. It makes my heart sing.

    ReplyDelete