Pages

Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Appalachian Word of the Week -- PAWPAW

Do you remember the song about sweet little Sally being way down yonder in the PAWPAW patch? We sang it often in my school.

Do you know what a PAWPAW is? Have you ever eaten one?

This time of year is harvesting season for the PAWPAW. I kept my eyes open for a PAWPAW tree while I visited my hometown of Harlan, Kentucky last weekend.

Unfortunately, I didn't find one and I'm not able to roam the mountains anymore to search for one growing up on Pine Mountain. Besides, the mountains are full of black bears, rattlesnakes, and copperheads these days.

I came home from my trip regretting I have to wait at least one more year before getting to sink my teeth into one of those luscious fruits.

PAWPAW tree
If you don't know about PAWPAW, I'll give you the details. They grow mostly wild on a scraggly looking tree with large leaves.

In appearance, they are similar to a mango. The flavor of a PAWPAW seems to be a combination of banana and mango. Of course, I never heard of a mango until I left the mountains. So, my only comparison to the flavor was a banana.

The flesh is smooth, sweet, and yellow/orange. Inside the PAWPAW you will find large dark seeds. You don't eat the seeds. Or the peeling. The peeling is a tad bitter.

A Harlan County friend
decorates with PAWPAW
leaves and Buckeyes
I remember fondly a friend of my daddy who had a PAWPAW tree growing in his yard in Loyall. Every August/September, we would stop by and pick a few from a tree he had growing in his back yard. I smile when I think of it.

I found a video on YouTube that describes the PAWPAW and current research on how to make them more marketable. Apparently, they are too delicate to sell in bulk at grocery stores. You can use the pulp, de-seeded and mushed, in recipes in the place of bananas. It can also be frozen for later.

Here's the link if you want to watch the video about PAWPAWS:

The PAWPAW

Have you ever eaten a PAWPAW? What did you think about it? Do you live where PAWPAWS grow today? Tell us about your PAWPAW experiences.

9 comments:

  1. My Mother and her sisters were born in Harlan. I remember them talking about paw paw fruit. I remember the song too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love pawpaws. Nothing else like them. Have you been to Harlan?

      Delete
  2. My mom went across the mountain to VA. To get hers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure wish I could find some. I've never heard of them in Atlanta.

      Delete
  3. I didn't even realize they were a real thing. I do believe I would like them!! I remember the song.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you get a chance some day to taste one. I loved them. So soft, sweet, and smooth. I wish they could grow in Atlanta.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My grandparents had a small farm in Coaliron, KY. They had a pawpaw tree in their front yard. That was in the 1950-1960 time frame. Only one I ever remember seeing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you ever eat any of the pawpaws?

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love pawpaw i have a big tree in my back yard i get pawpaw every year i live in loyall ky my name ellen jackson

    ReplyDelete