Pages

Thursday, November 2, 2017

Appalachian Word of the Week -- BLACK WALNUTS

Growing up in the mountains, we had lots of different nuts available in the fall. Last week I shared my memories of chestnuts. If you missed it, you can find it HERE. This week, I'm going to share the BLACK WALNUT.

Probably, most of you know about BLACK WALNUTS, whether you harvested them yourself or not. You can buy them in the grocery store, after all.

But--do you cook with them?

This time of year, my dad took us on excursions on Pine Mountain where he knew BLACK WALNUT trees grew. He had gathered them from his youth.

One particular Saturday morning, we gathered a stack of potato sacks Mom had put aside during the year (the old red ones with webbing and a drawstring, not the plastic ones like today). We all loaded into Dad's Willis car and drove to the mountain using Laden Trail. If you don't know about Laden Trail, I'll be talking about it at a later date.

We piled out of the car, eager to go into the woods and collect BLACK WALNUTS. However ... the area Dad wanted to get to happened to be on the other side of a field, with a fence. We shorter ones squeezed through the slats in the fence and Dad climbed over.

Halfway through the pasture, we discovered what the fence had been intended to enclose -- a bull. An unhappy bull!

We took off running across the field like lightning. That bull ran faster than my short legs could go. Mom, although she was only five feet tall and had short legs, too, grabbed me and dragged me across that pasture. Thankfully, we reached the other side before the bull caught up to us. I don't remember clearly, but I think we flew over the top of that fence.

Picking BLACK WALNUTS can be dangerous. At least we didn't see any bears, venomous snakes, or wildcats.

BLACK WALNUT tree

With blood pumping like a coal train carrying a heavy load, we continued to climb the mountain and reached the tree stand Dad had remembered. BLACK WALNUT trees had dropped more BLACK WALNUTS than we could have carried home. We each began filling our bags.

If I close my eyes I can still remember the fragrance of an old-growth forest in fall -- the fallen and drying leaves, earth, moss, and nuts. I smile when I think of it. I also loved the sound of us walking through the thick leaves as they rustled and crunched beneath our feet.

One negative of picking up BLACK WALNUTS is that the hulls turn your hands black. Especially the ones that have already turned black after being on the ground for a while. It takes a while for the stain to disappear, too. Soap and water don't do the trick. The stain is so effective that some people boil the hulls and use the strained water as hair dye or dye for wool.

With each of our bags filled with BLACK WALNUTS and tied shut, we made our way back down the mountain. Daddy ended up having to carry most of the bags.

Since we were weighed down and couldn't run as fast, we decided to walk around the fenced-in pasture this time. It was a bit further, but safer.

At home, Mom took the bags of BLACK WALNUTS and laid them out in the sun to dry. Then she got busy with a hammer. First, she hammered off the green/black husks and collected the black, wavy nutshells into a large pan. Then she sat on the concrete floor of our laundry room and hammered BLACK WALNUTS into small enough pieces to retrieve the meats inside.

That hammering could get on your nerves. I usually found something to do outside during the process. I'm sure her arm was sore by the time she finished. Those BLACK WALNUT shells are hard and thick. Funny how they look a lot like the bark of a BLACK WALNUT tree.

After the hammering part was done, we each gathered pieces, a nut pick, and settled down in front of The Ed Sullivan Show to pick out the BLACK WALNUT meats for upcoming Christmas recipes.
BLACK WALNUTS -- hand-picked or
purchased from a store -- they're
great in your holiday recipes

BLACK WALNUTS have a unique woodsy flavor. Mom used them in her chocolate fudge and family recipe fruitcakes. It was about the only time of year my mom made sweets. I felt it was worth the wait. It was also worth the effort and danger required to get the BLACK WALNUTS. Nothing topped her fudge or fruitcake.

Have you ever harvested BLACK WALNUTS? Did you have a tree in your yard? Do you have a favorite way of using them in your cooking?

Would you like to go into the mountains and collect BLACK WALNUTS? I recommend a pair of heavy gloves. Oh, and you may want to avoid any fenced-in pastures.

I'd love to hear your story.


6 comments:

  1. I was probably 10 or 12 years old. My pappaw and mammaw had a black walnut tree in their driveway. I've always like to work and make money. So one day my pappaw told me people buys those black walnuts. Boy, did a light bulb start glowing. He said they bought them by the bushel but the shell had to come off. I didn't know what a "bushel" was. So he found me an old bushel basket and gave me a hammer. Boy, was I excited. I was already spending the money. Well, I spent all day hammering off those shells and filling that one basket with the nuts. At the end of the day I finally had my basket filled. I don't remember selling them for whatever reason, but I do remember going back home, waking up and going to school the next day - Harlan City School. Harlan City school is and was known for the doctors, lawyers, well "rich people" school. They were poor kids that went there too, but the school has always been known for the "rich kids". Anyway, I got to school and my good friend Joe McKenzie started laughing. "Todd! What is on your hands?".... I looked and it even surprised me. I don't know how I not noticed the night before. My hands looked like I had dipped them in furniture stain. Boy was I embarrassed. And boy did the comments start...."What'd you wipe your butt with your hands?" is one comment I vividly remember, lol. So, the lesson I learned, if you want to crack black walnuts, be sure and wear gloves, latex gloves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know about Harlan City Schools well. Yes, those walnuts certainly stain your hands - and anything else they get near. Great story. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. I have some black walnut trees on the edge of the pasture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For insurance purposes, the information provided on the report will help ensure replacement of a lost or stolen diamond with one that is truly "compatible quality." Scottsdale diamonds

    ReplyDelete
  4. From small earrings to heavy necklaces, designer anklets to classy bangles, each and every piece of jewellery is available at various jewellery stores. Buy Nakshatra jewelry online at an affordable price and enhance your personality in a magnificent way. Scottsdale diamonds

    ReplyDelete