Pages

Thursday, November 9, 2017

Appalachian Word of the Week -- SHUCK BEANS

Thanksgiving is almost here. What does that mean for an Appalachian family? It means you'd better have your SHUCK BEANS ready.

If you grew up in Appalachia, you know what a SHUCK BEAN is. You may also know them as shucky beans or leather britches.

Whatever you call them, they are a necessity for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and a few other special holidays.

SHUCK BEANS are dried green beans that are reconstituted and cooked until the bean itself is moist and creamy and the hulls are soft enough to dissolve in your mouth.

My SHUCK BEANS are hanging in my window, drying, right now. They still have some time to go before they are dry enough to rattle when they are moved.

Stringing your beans
How do you make SHUCK BEANS? You take green beans--preferably fresh white half-runners or little greasies for me--clean them, then string them. Stringing a green bean is the process of snapping off each end and pulling the string all the way to the other end. Then you snap off the other end and do the same on the other side.

When you have all your green beans ready, you take a large needle and thread it with heavy duty cotton thread (I prefer thread for putting buttons on a coat, some people use dental floss.

Push the needle through one sturdy bean and tie a knot around the bean. This will keep the SHUCK BEAN from sliding off the string. Then thread the beans onto the string until it is near the end of the string. Repeat what you did with the first bean and tie the string around the last bean to secure it.

Next, hang your beans to dry. You can hand them outdoors, but you'll take the risk of squirrels or some other hungry critter eating them. I put mine on a clothes hanger and hang it near a window.



How to prepare your SHUCK BEANS:

The night before you need to cook your SHUCK BEANS, snip the strings and slide them into a large pot. (Discard the strings) Cover them with water and leave them to soak overnight.

The next morning, strain the water from the beans and refill the pot with clean water. Add some meat. Generally, I use a slab of fatback. You can also use salt bacon, bacon, or ham hocks. According to how salty your meat is, add a bit of salt. Then get the water boiling to where you have bubbles rising to the surface.

SHUCK BEANS after cooking
Cook the SHUCK BEANS for about three hours. Check on the water level often. If the level gets below the SHUCK BEANS, add more water.

After three hours, test your beans. If the bean part is soft and silky, they're ready. If they are a bit hard and mealy, keep cooking. You can adjust the salt levels now, too.

Check them again every 30 minutes to see if your SHUCK BEANS are done.

When they are just right, turn off the heat and let them sit for another 20-30 minutes.

Then you're ready for some Appalachian heaven.

SHUCK BEANS have always been one of my favorite side dishes. Each time I visited my mom in Harlan County, KY, I expected her to fix some and to have a couple of strings in her freezer for me to take home with me.

Looking for an interesting and historical side dish for your special holiday celebration? Try some SHUCK BEANS.

Did you grow up eating SHUCK BEANS? Do you still eat them? Did you ever string them and then hang them to dry?

I'd love to hear your SHUCK BEAN stories.

Happy Thanksgiving SHUCK BEANS to you.

*Special thanks to my cousin, Carol Nolan Cavins, for her SHUCK BEANS photos.


9 comments:

  1. Thank you for this! I was raised in Harlan and my Granny Helton made these. I loved them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had shuck beans when I was young - will never forget stringing them onto the string; however, we called them leather britches - the fact we used white half runners (the best bean ever) made leather britches that much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like white half runners, but my favorite is little greasies. I love the big beans inside.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for the recipe! I was raised in Benham, (Harlan County, KY) Love shuck beans. I have three quart size bags bought in Harrogate, TN. We plan to cook this Thanksgiving 2019 at the granddaughter’s
    in Rockwall, TX. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dried beans this year and plan to cook them for Thanksgiving, thanks for the cooking instructions. This was always our favorite thing to eat growing up...Yummmm

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I was a child we used to go to my great grandparents house in Hazard, Kentucky, but you can only drive so far before you had to park your car and cross a swinging Road Bridge,then go up a hill for where there were shacks with shucky beans strings hanging from the front. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes I grew up with these beans my mother always had them on holidays.I was raised and born in Hazard ky

    ReplyDelete