Pages

Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Appalachian Word of the Week -- FOUNDERED

Have you ever gotten FOUNDERED on something? Don't know what that is? I'll explain.

On New Year's Day, I indulged in the long-standing tradition in my family of eating black-eyed peas. They were delicious. And since I was the only one here to partake of their tastiness, I ate to my heart's content. For dinner and supper. Two bowlfuls for each meal.

I determined that I would get as much money out of those peas as possible for the coming new year by eating as many as possible.

The next day, I ate them again. Just because I like them and they were already cooked.

Late in the day, as I patted my tummy, I remembered the word -- FOUNDERED.

FOUNDERED means you have eaten so much of one food that you decide, maybe, you never want to eat that food again as long as you live.

Ever foundered on cheesecake?
I FOUNDERED on cheesecake once when I was younger and diabetes wasn't an issue yet. Thankfully, I have gotten over it and can appreciate a few bites of cheesecake again.

One Christmas, my mom gave me a canned ham for my stocking. Remember those? You had to use a key to get it open.

I loved the taste of ham, but we had never eaten it in our house. My dad couldn't tolerate it. So, the only time I could get any was when I was away from home. The reason my mom gave me a ham.

Have you foundered on ham?
Knowing that ham only stays safe to eat for a limited number of days, I ate ham for every meal, every day, until it was gone. By the time I ate the last bite, I had FOUNDERED on ham.

I felt green. Whether it was because of the ham or due to a virus, I ended up with vertigo and nausea. I threw up ham for two days. Sorry ... I know that's disgusting.

After that experience, it took years for me to be able to smell, let alone eat, ham.

My mom once FOUNDERED on cinnamon candy. She scarfed down those rolls of Reed's cinnamon candies and cube-shaped cinnamon suckers. I rarely saw her without cinnamon in her mouth.

Then, one day, no more cinnamon. She snarled if you said the word. She had finally FOUNDERED.

I could never founder on ice cream or chocolate!


I've often wondered if it's possible to FOUNDER on chocolate, prime rib, crab, or ice cream. I certainly hope not. Just in case, I think I will eat them in moderation.

Have you ever FOUNDERED on a food? Tell me about it. Have you ever eaten it again?




7 comments:

  1. I just told my New England husband that I foundered. He didn't have a clue. He swears I make up words. I think he needs an eastern KY o New England translation book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom used to say founder. As kids whenever we would gorge on a certain food, she would warn us that we were going to found on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom did, too. I did not know it was Appalachian. She's from WV. A lot of words she used were Appalachian, I found out. :)

      Delete
  3. I was just telling my daughter about the word "founder" and explained what it meant. I haven't heard in conversation since I was a kid in eastern Kentucky. Boy sure miss the good ole days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dad was from Western Maryland and once said he had foundered on Little Debbie oatmeal pies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We used to use that word growing up in Appalachia in reference to animals eating all that you gave them no matter what the amount. “That puppy foundered on her first serving of meatloaf. I had to clean her up an hour later from pucking the excess food.”

    ReplyDelete
  6. I foundered on watermelon when I was a kid down in the mountains of SW Virginia, and it took about 20 years before I could eat it again. Now, a more common usage of the word Founder is when a ship fills with water and sinks to the bottom. I can see the connection somebody made way back when, I felt the same way with all that watermelon I ate that day...

    ReplyDelete