Pages

Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Appalachian Word of the Week -- FILLIN' STATION

Today, most people refer to them as a gas station. Back in my day in Harlan County, we called them a service station or a FILLIN' STATION.

A FILLIN' STATION sold gas and very little else. If you were lucky, you could pick up a candy bar or gum on the oil-slimed counter. Most customers didn't come inside, though. They sat in their car as an attendant pumped your gas, checked your oil, and cleaned your windshield for you. Then you paid in cash.



Mechanic at FILLIN' STATION
Most FILLIN' STATIONS also had a mechanic on duty. My dad took care of all his mechanic needs by himself. But, if you were on the road and needed a tire, some oil, or a new fan belt, the FILLIN' STATION mechanic would come in handy. I know I used one a few times as I traveled back in the 70s. They also had their own tow truck in case you got stranded on the side of the road--or in a parking lot when I forgot to turn my lights off.

I heard tell there was another major product the FILLIN' STATION provided in Harlan County. Since we were dry--that means liquor was not legally available for sale--some FILLIN' STATIONS provided a secret stash of bootlegged whiskey or moonshine. At least that's what I heard.

These days, gas stations provide all kinds of goods. The station is more like a small market. I mentioned this last week when I talked about TRADIN'. They also have hot food available. Most have pizza, hot dogs or sausages, soup, and fried chicken. Beer and harder liquors are still outlawed for gas stations.

FILLIN' STATIONS have always attracted bad behavior for some reason. Aside from being held up, they're also the scene of disagreeable sorts who would rather duke it out than behave in a civil manner.

Cat fight at the FILLIN' STATION
Just today I experienced an all-out catfight at one of our local gas stations.

As I innocently pumped my own gas (not like the FILLIN' STATION), a car screeched into the pumping area. A woman threw open her door and ran for the woman at the pump across from me.

Before I knew what was happening, the newcomer threw the pumper onto the ground and started wailing into her with both fists (woman to woman). Much language I can't repeat here ensued.

Those two grabbed each other by the hair extensions and dug into each other with their sculpted talons (nails). They rolled all over that parking lot, screeching like banshees.

The rest of us grabbed our phones and some called 911 while others started videoing. Sorry, I'm not one of the videographers.

Not a single man tried to help the recipient of the newcomer's anger. They stood there and taped it --  to show their friends, I guess.

Finally, the two women from inside the gas station came out and tried to separate them. When they mentioned the security cameras and that the cops had been called (the police station is right down the road), the attacker released her victim and hightailed it to her car. She flew out of that parking lot, leaving rubber to identify her path.

The two workers helped the victim off the ground as both parties released a few more streams of cuss words at each other, followed by a few threats.

At least the employees were still offering "service" from the FILLIN' STATION days. They even finished pumping the lady's gas for her.

Did you call it a FILLIN' STATION? Do you remember anything I've forgotten? What do you call them today?

I love hearing your stories.



2 comments:

  1. Even so come Lord Jesus! If you still live in New York City, I hope you've heard from God and I hope you've also heard David Wilkerson's prophecy about 1,000 fires burning in New York city from riots. If God said stay, then stay of course!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't know if the tapered thread on these pieces would allow them to go in far enough to make an effective set screw, however. Set screws must go a little inside the ID of the piece to work.

    automation canada

    ReplyDelete