Pages

Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Appalachian Word of the Week -- YONDER

People are always asking how far YONDER is.

Unfortunately, YONDER is one of those terms that's a might hard to specify. The meaning varies according to how you use it.

If you're sitting on the couch and you want to change channels on the TV, but you don't have a remote, YONDER might only be few feet from you.

He lives over YONDER.
If you're standing on the mountaintop, looking out at the smoky blue mountains in the background, and you know your cousin Jim Bob lives on the third mountain over, then Jim Bob lives over YONDER.

If you sit at your desk to get some work done and realize you forgot to bring your cup of coffee from the kitchen, YONDER is way in the kitchen and you hope there's somebody else in the house to run and fetch it for you.

YONDER, whether it's a long distance or a short one, means the distance between you and the object you desire is further than you want it to be. It also intimates that anything past your fingers is too far over YONDER and somebody besides you needs to hop up and retrieve it for you.

Go over YONDER and change the channel.
YONDER can also signify when something is too far away for you to even consider going to it or retrieving it. For some lazy bums, that can be two inches past their noses.

I'm sure we all have heard the old hymn, "When the Roll is Called Up YONDER." Heaven is about the furthest distance we can imagine. Even further than the stars and planets that we can't see without a high-powered telescope.

Right now I'd like to grab my sweater because the air conditioning is blowing on me and making chill bumps pop out on my arms--but it's over YONDER on my Lazy Boy and I'd have to stop typing, get up, and walk over YONDER to get it. I might decide to shiver instead of going after my sweater.

Go over YONDER and get my phone.
I seem to think YONDER refers to the things we don't want to bother to get ourselves. I remember many a time when my mom directed me to go over YONDER or in YONDER and get something for her.

So, how far is YONDER? YONDER is any distance you can't reach by stretching out your hand to touch it.

What's your definition of YONDER?

I'd love to hear what you have to say.






2 comments:

  1. Howdy, I stumbled upon this blog google'n something else. Glad I did though. I'm kinda a misplaced hillbilly I grew up in SWVA, Dickenson and Russell counties. I now live in Eastern North Carolina,flatland near the coast. I miss the mountains and the way we talk there. A story if I may about "Yonder" once at a family reunion a cousin of mine brought her Australian boyfriend( she was living over yonder at the time) Well he asks my bro in law about a particular thing whereabouts, to which my Bro in law answers pointing "over yonder" the Aussie says where? My bro in law says yonder, Aussie WHERE bro in law YONDER! Aussie grabs my bro in law by the shoulders, looks him dead in the eye and said " Listen mate, I don't know what a BLOODY yonder is!" We all fell out laughing thanks for bringing these memories out.
    A Misplaced Hillbilly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Over yonder we will be with all the kinfolk on our knees.lets us love each other & make the mends for over yonder there is no fence. We are not divided we are one by the blood of Jesus and all over yonder.

    ReplyDelete