Pages

Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Appalachian Word of the Week -- STEP-INS

My Appalachian word this week is STEP-INS.

Granny always used the term “step-ins” when she referred to a woman’s underwear. She thought the word “panties” was too crude. I always laughed when she said it, but I didn’t say “panties” either. I called them undies or unmentionables.



One of my aunts called them bloomers. It seemed that everybody in the mountains had a different word for the same thing. Now that I look back on those days when Granny was still around, I appreciate her use of step-ins a lot more than I did back then.



Whatever each family member called them, it was the dreaded gift to receive at the family Christmas party each year. Granny always gave me step-ins for Christmas. In my pre-teen years, few things embarrassed me more than having to open that gift in front of all the aunts and uncles and hold them up for all to see. Aunt Mona Jo seemed to get way too much pleasure out of making a big deal of the reveal. She raised her voice so no one could miss her and announced that Kurn Lynn (Karen Lynn) was opening her gift. Oh, what is it, Kurn Lynn? Oh, look! Ain’t they purdy? Kurn Lynn got some step-ins. Hold ‘em up for everybody to see.



If I didn’t hold them up (I much preferred hiding under my chair), Aunt Mona Jo would hold them up for me, high in the air. The laughter only lasted a few seconds but they echoed in my head for… years.

What did your family call them? Did you have any other unusual names for underwear?


5 comments:

  1. I always gave the men in my life either boxers or briefs. They didn't much like them either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shame on you, Frieda. lol I made a point of NOT giving them to my son. He wouldn't have liked it either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My grandmother called them step-ins too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My grandmother also called them step-ins & until I googled it & saw your story I had never heard another person call them that. Brings back memories!

    ReplyDelete