Pages

Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Appalachian Word of the Week -- HIDEY-HO'

A HIDEY-HO' (hiding hole) provided a peaceful place of escape for me as a child. Whether I hid away in the closet, a home-made fort made from blankets and chairs, or in a cluster of bushes and trees in the woods behind the house, I found my HIDEY-HO' to be an escape from the frustrations of life. I spent my time there creating stories, playing with my dolls or stuffed animals, or pretending I was hiding from an evil villain.

A favorite childhood HIDEY-HO' was the playhouse my dad built for me out of used lumber from an old chicken coop. It was set up like a little kitchen. I guess they thought it would encourage me to become domestic. It didn't work. But, I loved secreting myself in my own little HIDEY-HO' in the back yard to live in my own created world where everything was perfect.

My playhouse HIDEY-HO'
As I grew older and a HIDEY-HO' in the woods no longer enticed me or I wouldn't fit into a cabinet or closet anymore, I created a HIDEY-HO' in my bedroom. I spent many hours there reading a book or writing poetry. I practiced all my speeches for competitions and parts for plays by performing to my stuffed animals. I wrote in my diary and cried about all the pain and miseries in my life. I grieved when the boy I thought was perfect for me rebuffed me. I complained because my sister drove me crazy. I griped when my parents didn't understand me.

When my son was born, much later, I enjoyed his desire to search out his own HIDEY-HO'. I even found him in the bottom of my curio cabinet a few times. As he grew, his need for a larger HIDEY-HO' grew with him. He hid in the kitchen cabinets, the pantry, and the bathroom. Later, like me, his HIDEY-HO' of choice became his room.

We all seem to need a peaceful, private, quiet HIDEY-HO' from time to time. When life gets overwhelming and the people noise of our lives drives us to anguish, the HIDEY-HO' offers a place of respite and recharging.

In college, my favorite HIDEY-HO' was a former janitor's closet transformed into a prayer closet. I could go inside, lock the door, and read the Bible, pray, cry, write in a journal, or whatever I needed to regain focus. I've always thought I need to set up one of those HIDEY-HO' prayer closets in my house. Hmmm. Perhaps I should consider it again.

Do you need a quiet place?
Do you have a HIDEY-HO' where you can recharge your batteries? Do you need to hide away for a bit and regain your focus or pour out your heart to God? Then, consider how you can set up a HIDEY-HO' for yourself.

Tell me about your dream HIDEY-HO' in the comments.












Tweetables

Appalachian Word of the Week (Click here to Tweet this post) 

When life is overwhelming (Click here to Tweet this post)


You can also share this post on your favorite social media by clicking on one of the buttons in the box below.

1 comment: