Pages

Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Appalachian Word of the Week -- VY-EENIES

Did you grow up eating VY-EENIE (Vienna) Sausages?

Whether you pronounce the name VY-EENIE, Vee-inner, or Vienna they were a staple in most of our homes. They were also handy to carry with you for a snack with a pack of Saltines.

Remember those little cans you had to open with a key to reveal seven perfectly formed sausages in a mostly clear juice?

I thought they looked like a flower stuffed into that can. A VY-EENIE weenie flower.

Capturing the first VY-EENIE
Of course, after getting the key to work on the can wasn't always an easy task. Neither was the next step--getting the first VY-EENIE out of the can. A fork helped. But if you didn't have a fork with you, you had to dig into the VY-EENIES with your fingers and wrestle one out.

VY-EENIES are the poor man's caviar. About as appetizing when I think about it now.

Funny how we didn't think about what was in those little sausages then. We just ate them. Now I realize how disgusting a combination of ingredients made up those beloved VY-EENIES.

Just one bit of a VY-EENIE
In spite of my new-found knowledge of the ingredients, I had to try one as I prepared this post. So I took one bite.

The memories flooded back.

However, I could only eat one bite as the gritty flavor lingered in my mouth.

Do you still eat VY-EENIES?

What do you call them? VY-EENIE sausages? VY-EENIE weenies? Vienna Sausages?

Love or hate?

We want to know.

3 comments:

  1. Yes I loved these growing up. Still have them every once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandma came from Oklahoma during the dust bowl years, and her grandpa was from Appalachia, so that would have been the mid- or late 1800s. It’s funny how she sounded like she was from Kentucky, and yep! She called them Vy-eenie sausages! She passed back in 1993…Sadie Van Brunt Portwood was larger than life! I miss her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still eat them when i go camping and such..but now i use a little hot sauce
    ..i love them that way and of course Toll House crackers go with them...lol

    ReplyDelete